Tuesday, March 25, 2014

multi task prayer life

Multi tasking, of course it's my strong point, isn't it for every woman? For me being a Mom, wife, business owner (salon and art studio), hairstylist, artist, writer, and the list goes on! I can prepare a meal, clean the house, fold the clothes, get ready for small group and knit a scarf all at once! I mean seriously who couldn't do that as daily ordinary stuff? So it's no surprise that I have found myself multi tasking very important things, emails on the cell phone at the diner table, returning calls in the car with the kids and so on. I quickly felt convicted and have a no cell phone rule at the table, I do not take calls while driving with the kids, that's my time with them, why was I willing to make them less important? Family diner needs to be a priority, that's the most important communication we can have in our home.
Well, when I thought I had finally taken care of priorites with my multi tasking, I realized I have been doing the same thing in my relationship with God. Praying as I'm reaching for my cell phone, between songs on the radio, or as I'm praying , I'll keep praying and try to talk over the voice of the Spirit, maybe I really don't want to know what God has to say on this issue in my life, or I really don't want to hear His side. I just keep talking and quickly say Amen! That signifies to me 'ok, end of conversation"! I did my part know I just want Him to answer me in a way I see fit.
Do you ever do this?
Lately my new multi tasking prayer life is on the elliptical at the gym, I can easily spend an hour on that, so why is it so hard for me to spend one hour with God?
I put in my headphones, turn on my favorite worship music, hang on to the handles tight, close my eyes, let the words really fill my soul, I start to pray , usually that I won't fall off! As I start to pray I let the words in the music guide my heart in a way I can't explain.
Then I try to listen for His voice.
When I opened my eyes I was sure I had nearly completed my hour, but it was only about ten minutes.
I haven't made it the entire hour yet, but each time I make it longer , each time I pray less selfishly, each time I listen a little more, each time I'm a little more honest with Him. He all ready knows my heart, what I think, but it's another to say it, and admit it. I have said to Him , " okay this is what I'm praying for, this is what I know I'm willing to do right now, and this is what I am not willing to do" I have even tried to 'remind' Him of David, " God you loved David, called him a man after your own heart, am I not like him? Wanting to serve you and do good but constantly messing up? But yet you did show some favor on him" Now I am not a King, not even close to royality, and I can't remind God of anything.
But I do love the Lord, I am not ashamed of the Gospel, even though I stumble over little rocks and fall over large rocks on my journey, I still pick myself up and praise God for what He has done, I still pursue Him, I marvel in His sacrifice , I stand in awe of His love for me.How can I not? I know me. I know how dark my own heart can be and yet The Creator of the entire universe still loves me.
I have prayed like Davids 51st Psalm many times with passion, with tears, with regret, with shame, and have found even before I have lifted my head I have felt the Lords compassion on me.
My sins are my own sins, they are not like Davids. But like David I have let my pride get in the way , I let fear be the ruler in my life. and I have let distractions of this world take my focus off of God and wandered down paths I should of not. Those wrong turns took me the long way back to God, but He was there, waiting not with an iron fist but with mercy.

Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
    blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity
    and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is always before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
    and justified when you judge.
Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
    you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins
    and blot out all my iniquity.
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    so that sinners will turn back to you.
14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
    you who are God my Savior,
    and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
15 Open my lips, Lord,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
    you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17 My sacrifice, O God, is[b] a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.
18 May it please you to prosper Zion,
    to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
    in burnt offerings offered whole;
    then bulls will be offered on your altar.

For now I look at the hour long elliptical session not as a chore but as a time to worship, a time to focus my mind, my time to open my heart and listen to what God has to say and to be reminded that He still loves me in spite of all my mistakes









No comments:

Post a Comment